This is an easy soup to make on those days when you're furiously knitting on a deadline, but still want some good homemade food. Kinda sounds like every day around my house.
- 2 large red onions sliced thin
- 2 large sweet yellow onions sliced thin
- 4 Tbl spns butter
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 Tbl spn Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbl spn balsamic vinegar
- ⅓ cup red wine
- French bread, sliced thick
- swiss cheese, grated
- mozzarella cheese, grated
Melt butter in soup pot. Add sliced onions and simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes.
Add broth, herbs, worcestershire, and wine. Simmer for 30 minutes.
Add balsamic. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Sprinkle bread slices with cheese and place under broiler just until cheese is bubbly and golden.
Place bread in bottom of bowls. Pour soup over bread.